Solo Travel : anxiety which become addiction

Thursday, October 29, 2015

First time to go abroad, I took my own flight alone transit to Thailand. It was also my first flight, can you imagine it? Anxious? Of course! But I said to myself that I should be brave, and I did. 

When almost of my friends went abroad together with their Indonesian friends, taking many pictures and look very happy,  I was by myself and start to make a connection with new people around me. I met Nepal people and had a long conversation on the plane. 

Then, I met with another Indonesian student who also went to Japan at the same time as me in Thailand. Did you know what I felt? I was very happy at that time, although I didn't know them very well. It was also I felt that they were my brother, just because we were Indonesian among them. 

All the days in Japan was guided by my Korean friend. But then, when I should come back to Narita, I was alone because I was the only one who had an earlier flight. The one I was afraid of is about the language, how if I cannot communicate well, because some of Japanese cannot speak English well. But, I'm afraid of nothing! 

Even I got lost, didn't know which Line should I took. I came to the information centre and asked them. They were very kind, explained to me well. If they could not speak English well, they used a pen and wrote it to me so I understood. And I could get Narita safely! 

And then I became brave to go alone in Indonesia, especially Jakarta, Special Capital Region. I got lost so many times, but I'm not afraid again. 


It was a year ago, my first chance to go overseas...

Recently, I had another opportunity to joined symposium in Canberra, Australia.  I was alone, yes, from the beginning. Although it partially funded, I should manage it well because Australia is known as one of the expensive countries in the world. 

I was alone and have no relative in Australia, especially Canberra. When my friends usually went somewhere for a conference had someone else arranged their needs, I should make it by myself. I started looking for Indonesian people there and started making a connection. Google and Facebook were my closest friends during that time. I was looking for Embassy of Indonesia, Indonesian Students Association (PPI Australia), many groups with correlates between Indonesia and Australia, Backpacker Dunia, etc and started to made connections. Not only about that, the accommodations during the symposium, such as hostel and transportation, but I should also manage it well by myself, then I asked Indonesian people which stayed in Australia to made it clear for me. 

Someone said to me that arranged the trip was interesting as the trip itself. And, I believed it! 

It took more than 2 weeks just to arranged my trip from Melbourne to Canberra, and also from Canberra to Sydney. Which the landmark should I visited? What will I do there? How should I go there? 

Then, when I didn't catch the bus as I planned before, it was shocked me and I didn't know what should I did. I just want to cry! But, that was not the answer. I should arrange another plan quickly. Yes, I made it. Although on the bus, really, I was crying. I realized that I should depend on myself, so don't be weak people!!

When I cannot do something alone, it was lead me to asked someone did it for me. It was lead me to the new connection. Yes, of course! 

The last day in Canberra and Sydney, I made it alone. Walking around the landmark area, and enjoyed it. From the City Hill to Capitol Hill, from Darling Harbour to Opera House. Many people also walking alone, so what the matter if I walk by myself? 

When nobody to be asked, I just follow my feeling to take the direction. Sometimes it's true, but sometimes it drives me to the other wonderful places. 

Walking like a crazy, and when I was tired just looking for the nearest bench or bus stop to sit and take a deep breath. 

It very contrasts with Indonesian people, when after my arrival my friends ask me 'you did all by yourself?' and with confidence, I said 'yes!'. Although I understood why they asked me that because Indonesia is a communal country. 

Someone told me that having a trip with others isn't a good idea if you want to enjoy something. I didn't think like that if then my partner has the same vision as me. But if not, I prefer walking alone. 

Overall, Solo travel is teaching me so many things.

Do not afraid! 
Do not depend on others! Whether if you cannot manage by yourself, you can ask other. 
Do not afraid of getting lost! you'll find a new way
Do not afraid of failed! You always have the chance to start it again

And if I have another chance, I want to travel alone again! It becomes an Addiction.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. just like my experience when I first went abroad, two things were mixed between happy and confused

    ReplyDelete